Tuesday, January 31, 2012

James Blunt - All the Lost Souls

I was browsing iTunes today and I found this album cover from James Blunt's 2007 album All the Lost Souls:


The idea here is really interesting.

First off, the contrast between the red in the title and the background is quite obvious, as it pops off the page.

Secondly, the image of James Blunt in the background is made up of many, many tiny pictures. The quality of this image isn't great, but if you zoom in, the pictures are all portraits of people. I find this very suitable, as the title of this album is "All the Lost Souls", and there are a lot of "souls" represented on the front of this cover.

Thirdly, the typography for the artist's name is just really cool. All of the letters seem to be illuminated as neon lights, which I love. I wouldn't have thought to use neon lights in this application, but I think it really works. It's also kinda neat how the title seems to be lighting up the page - judging by the dark corners.

At first I didn't really notice this cover as anything spectacular, but as I started to look closer, the design decisions are actually pretty clever.

1 comment: