Friday, April 27, 2012

Let's go retro: John Lennon

For me, sometimes the classics really are the best... And it doesn't get much better than John Lennon. The art direction is genius for this cover; so simple... Nothing but John Lennon singing. I think when it's someone as iconic as he, you really don't need much more than that; some of the greatest imges from music are just the artist's portrait, looking human and being themselves. I'll take iconic imagery like this John Lennon piece or Kurt Cobain's famous shoot(below) over a half-naked woman in 10lbs of makeup or a guy looking pretentious and trendy any day.

Listen to me, eh? Any day now I'll probably start rambling on about
"You damn kids with your music... Skateboarding on the sidewalk... No respect.."

But what can I say? Sometimes the older stuff really is the best. I'd wager anything by Lady Gaga or Katy Perry will be long forgotten a decade from now; but we'll still be enjoying songs like "Come Together" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" long long after.



John Lennon album cover



If you don't know who this is just give up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment